The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 33 - File: global.php(779) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(779) : eval()'d code 33 errorHandler->error
/global.php 779 eval
/showthread.php 24 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 837 - File: global.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 837 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4950 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4950 errorHandler->error
/global.php 837 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined variable $visibleonly - Line: 412 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 412 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 1394 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1394 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 1359 fetch_forum_permissions
/inc/functions.php 2862 forum_permissions
/showthread.php 616 build_forum_jump
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 1394 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1394 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 1359 fetch_forum_permissions
/inc/functions.php 2862 forum_permissions
/showthread.php 616 build_forum_jump
Warning [2] Undefined array key "mybb" - Line: 1907 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1907 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_indicators.php 41 my_set_array_cookie
/showthread.php 624 mark_thread_read
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$ratings_update_error - Line: 5 - File: showthread.php(727) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(727) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 727 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 6846 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 6846 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_user.php 734 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 398 purgespammer_show
/showthread.php 1057 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(466) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(466) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 466 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyreplyownthreads" - Line: 641 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 641 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 699 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 699 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 704 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 704 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 6846 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(466) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyreplyownthreads" - Line: 641 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 699 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 704 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 742 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 742 errorHandler->error
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 742 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 742 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "invisible" - Line: 1491 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1491 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $threadnotesbox - Line: 30 - File: showthread.php(1518) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1518) : eval()'d code 30 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1518 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mirrors not working on Toroid station
Question 
Either I've got a bug, or maybe I'm just being clueless here, but I've built a Toroid station in low earth orbit that when I switch to inside view to place my buildings I get a light/dark cycle which seems, surprise surprise, to coincide with the spin of the station.

Both mirrors are in place (the big mirror floating "above" the station, and the angled ring mirror build into the spokes), and seem to be reflecting in the outside view. The station and big mirror seem to be oriented properly to the sun. Is this a known bug? I'm running win10 with an Nvidia 970, latest drivers.
(10-16-2016, 09:25 PM)Mandella Wrote: Either I've got a bug, or maybe I'm just being clueless here, but I've built a Toroid station in low earth orbit that when I switch to inside view to place my buildings I get a light/dark cycle which seems, surprise surprise, to coincide with the spin of the station.

Not quite — the light/dark cycle coincides with the orbit of the station around the Earth.  About half the time, your station is on the opposite side of the Earth from the Sun, so your mirrors have no significant light to reflect.

We have to play a little loose with the timescale of the simulation, but basically one simulated day is about 30 seconds.  In low Earth orbit, you're in darkness for about 45 minutes out of every 90 (in real life), which would work out to a seizure-inducing 0.9 out of every 1.8 seconds in the game.  We didn't want to do that to our players, so we stretch it out.

This will cause your residents to complain (people don't have much use for a 45-minute night!), and of course it also affects thermal balance and power production (if you're using solar panels).

So, yeah, mirrors aren't much use in a low orbit... they work great in a high orbit, though!

Joe Strout
Lead Developer, High Frontier

(10-17-2016, 09:56 AM)JoeStrout Wrote:
(10-16-2016, 09:25 PM)Mandella Wrote: Either I've got a bug, or maybe I'm just being clueless here, but I've built a Toroid station in low earth orbit that when I switch to inside view to place my buildings I get a light/dark cycle which seems, surprise surprise, to coincide with the spin of the station.

Not quite — the light/dark cycle coincides with the orbit of the station around the Earth.  About half the time, your station is on the opposite side of the Earth from the Sun, so your mirrors have no significant light to reflect.

We have to play a little loose with the timescale of the simulation, but basically one simulated day is about 30 seconds.  In low Earth orbit, you're in darkness for about 45 minutes out of every 90 (in real life), which would work out to a seizure-inducing 0.9 out of every 1.8 seconds in the game.  We didn't want to do that to our players, so we stretch it out.

This will cause your residents to complain (people don't have much use for a 45-minute night!), and of course it also affects thermal balance and power production (if you're using solar panels).

So, yeah, mirrors aren't much use in a low orbit... they work great in a high orbit, though!

Ah, got it! Obviously, I've just started playing with this sim -- I knew I probably shouldn't be building anything as big as this station in low orbit, but the cost savings!  Smile

This also explains why you lock the sun in one position in LEO -- it would be pretty dizzying in a real scale. It does bring up the question of whether it would be worth the effort to simulate a sun-synchronous low orbit for your game. Not as cost effective to get to and fro, but nice for the constant solar power and lighting.

Thanks for the quick reply! 
(10-17-2016, 11:10 AM)Mandella Wrote: This also explains why you lock the sun in one position in LEO -- it would be pretty dizzying in a real scale. It does bring up the question of whether it would be worth the effort to simulate a sun-synchronous low orbit for your game. Not as cost effective to get to and fro, but nice for the constant solar power and lighting.

You're right about the locked sun in the external view. But, I'm a bit embarrassed to say, we never considered a sun-synchronous low orbit! The equatorial orbit is pretty ideal from a radiation point of view, because you are deep within the magnetosphere and avoid the South Atlantic Anomaly.

But you're right, the advantages of constant sunlight could be substantial. I will need to look into this more! Thank you for suggesting it.

Joe Strout
Lead Developer, High Frontier