The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 33 - File: global.php(779) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(779) : eval()'d code 33 errorHandler->error
/global.php 779 eval
/showthread.php 24 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 837 - File: global.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 837 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4950 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4950 errorHandler->error
/global.php 837 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined variable $visibleonly - Line: 412 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 412 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 1394 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1394 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 1359 fetch_forum_permissions
/inc/functions.php 2862 forum_permissions
/showthread.php 616 build_forum_jump
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 1394 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1394 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 1359 fetch_forum_permissions
/inc/functions.php 2862 forum_permissions
/showthread.php 616 build_forum_jump
Warning [2] Undefined array key "mybb" - Line: 1907 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1907 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_indicators.php 41 my_set_array_cookie
/showthread.php 624 mark_thread_read
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$ratings_update_error - Line: 5 - File: showthread.php(727) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(727) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 727 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 6846 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 6846 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_user.php 734 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 398 purgespammer_show
/showthread.php 1057 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(466) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(466) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 466 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyreplyownthreads" - Line: 641 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 641 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 699 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 699 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 704 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 704 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 6846 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 6846 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_user.php 734 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 398 purgespammer_show
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(466) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(466) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 466 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyreplyownthreads" - Line: 641 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 641 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 699 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 699 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 704 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 704 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 742 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 742 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "invisible" - Line: 1491 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1491 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $threadnotesbox - Line: 30 - File: showthread.php(1518) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1518) : eval()'d code 30 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1518 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello --- Orbital transfer stations, transport network and First Lego League
Hi,
I am excited to find other people that are enthusiastic about building a simulation game that emphasizes:
  • Space colonization in orbit using resources from asteroids rather than focusing on planets.
  • An emphasis on realistic design (physics and engineering).
  • Modelling economics (budget, trade) and population growth dynamics
  • Educational uses that inspire a new generation of space engineers
  • ways to experiment and see what works better
I have wanted to design a game like this for years but never had the time and resources to do so,
I hope that being part of this community may let me contribute to the development of some of these ideas.

There are several topics that I find particularly interesting and that I would like to try once I get to know the game better.

Orbital transfer station:
Active control of transfer stations orbits that are marginally stable (like Lagrange point orbits, Lunar parking orbits and Earth-Moon transfer orbits) can provide significant benefits to economy of the station, the travelers and cargo that pass through it and the trading and transportation network that can be built with several types of stations.  Some of these benefits are:
  • Some energy and momentum can be harvested for "free" from the Moon or the Earth's orbit.
  • "free" energy storage in the orbit can reduce the weight and cost of batteries and power sources.
  • Energy and momentum can be accumulated slowly and released in a spurt by launching (or capturing) shuttles and cargo
  • Large stations can provide significant Delta-V boosts to smaller shuttles and cargo (saving not only fuel but tank and engine costs as well).
  • Stations that exchange energy and momentum with incoming and outgoing traffic can balance these over time creating an economic boost to the whole transportation network.

Large rotating stations that serve as "elevators":
Concepts like Rotovator and a Cislunar transportation system can provide cheap access between an Earth-Moon transfer orbit, the Lunar surface and interplanetary travel.  I would like to try a few simulations to see how hard it would be to create such a network and to fine tune the details for each of its components.

First Lego league (FLL)
I have been an FLL judge in tens of competitions for many years.  Every years I see dozens of groups of gifted kids (10 kids in each group) that spend many days and nights developing research projects for the competition.  The topic for the competition varies from year to year,  this year's FLL research topic is "Into Orbit". Kids that learn how to use games like Kerbal Space Program and High Frontier to develop and demonstrate their projects will have an edge in the competition so this is an excellent opportunity for this community to grow.
Welcome! Those are some really great ideas!

Joe Strout
Lead Developer, High Frontier